I sampled this dish earlier this year, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. Whoever thought that beet and carrots would compliment each other is a genius!
- 1 bag of carrots
- 4 medium beets, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cilantro (optional garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Toss the carrots and beets with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Spread out onto a baking sheet, transfer to the oven and roast for 40-50 minutes, or until the veggies are tender when pierced with a fork.
3. Place the remaining tablespoon of olive oil into a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion to the pan and sauté for about 2-3 minutes, or until the onion begins to become soft. Add the garlic and sauté for one minute more, or until the garlic becomes fragrant.
4. Add the roasted beets, carrots and vegetable stock to the saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until lightly thickened. Stir in the vinegar and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Transfer the beet stock mixture to a blender or blend in the pot using an immersion blender. Blend until very smooth, adding water to taste if you prefer a thinner soup.
6. Divide into 2 bowls, top with chopped cilantro and enjoy!
Special thanks to Meatless Monday for this recipe!