- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cans (15 oz each) of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, diced (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the quinoa in a strainer. Sometimes it can have a bitter taste.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and cook for a couple of minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add the quinoa and vegetable broth to the pan. Add the cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil and then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice and frozen corn into the pan and simmer for 5 minutes or until corn is heated through.
- Finally, mix in the black beans and cilantro. Garnish with chopped avocado if desired. Serve hot or cold. Store in refrigerator.