Before I converted to a plant-based diet, I used to enjoy eating jerk-flavored foods. Fortunately, I can continue this favorite style of dish under my new food regime. You can too using the recipe below!
- 1 cup dried chickpeas (3 cups cooked or 2 14 oz cans)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 to 2 Scotch bonnets or other hot chilies, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon jerk seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 small bunch of green onions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- generous handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- juice from 3 limes (1/3 cup)
- fresh ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
- Optional: Corn and chopped red onions
- Saute ginger, garlic, thyme and peppers for 5 minutes on medium heat. Add the seasonings.
- Now add the tomatoes. Optional: Add corn and chopped red onions
- Stir in the chickpeas, the green onions, red pepper and 3/4 cup of water. Simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding more water as needed. Note that you want a fairly thick and dry consistency as the end result.
- Stir in the lime juice and parsley, season with black pepper and sea salt to taste, and simmer for another few minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with dried red chili flakes, green onion slices and parsley