If you have a person in your life who cannot seem to wean themselves from chicken nuggets, then I suggest you try this delicious and healthy recipe!
1/4 cup almonds
2 large handfuls fresh baby spinach
1 1/2 cups whole wheat breadcrumbs, divided
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar, but any kind will be fine)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
2. Put the almonds in a food processor and process until they are a fine crumb (you could probably use almond meal instead if you prefer).
3. Add the spinach and pulse until the spinach is finely chopped and you have a green crumb-like mixture. Set aside. (If you don’t have a food processor, you can do the chopping by hand. Just chop everything very finely.
4. Whisk the two eggs in a medium bowl. Add the spinach-almond mixture, 1/2 cup of the breadcrumbs, flaxseed, basil, oregano, and cheese and mix well.
5. Place the remaining cup of breadcrumbs in a small bowl. Using your hands, form a small portion of the spinach mixture into a ball and roll it in the breadcrumbs until it is fully covered. Press it into a flat nugget shape and place it on the baking sheet. Repeat until you use all of the mixture.
6. Bake in the preheated oven 18-25 minutes*, turning the nuggets over half way through the baking time (optional. I forgot the second batch I made and they were fine…)
7. Allow to cool and serve. Enjoy!
*The original recipe said 25 minutes. The first time I made these again I cooked them for 25 minutes and they seemed slightly overcooked. The second time I made them I cooked them for 18 minutes and they were perfect. Ovens vary, so start checking them at 18 minutes.