10 Fun Facts about the Eiffel Tower
- The Eiffel Tower was intended for Barcelona, Spain, but the city rejected the project.
- The Eiffel Tower was originally built for an 1889 exposition, and not intended to permanent.
- It was supposed to be demolished in 1909, but it was saved because it was repurposed as a giant radio antenna.
- During WW2, when Hitler visited the monument, the French cut the elevator cables so Hitler would have to climb the stairs
- The height of the tower varies by 5.9 inches depending on the temperature.
- Gustav Eiffel had an apartment at the top of the tower
- The Tower has 1,665 steps.
- There are 20,000 light bulbs on the tower. Since 2013, the lights are shut off at 1am to save power.
- The paint on the Eiffel Tower weighs over 10 tons
- If the Eiffel Tower was built today, it would cost about 31 million dollars.
It is almost a requirement, that a tourist in Paris visits the national symbol of the city, the Eiffel Tower. The site was more beautiful than I imagined for the simple fact that it was a place where I watched cliches converge and my dreams come to fruition. People lounged, danced, drank and partied in front of this monument. My hostel mates and I were no exception.
*Excuse my laugh lol