Not too long ago, I decided to dine out with come of my colleagues at The Courtyard Cafe in The Georgia Center’s Hotel and Conference Center. This is where I discovered this delicious side dish. Cheese Squash casserole resembles macaroni in appearance, but it’s healthier and somewhat better tasting. I made this dish my Thanksgiving contribution, it was an absolute hit with everyone except my two youngest siblings. When the discovered that it was squash and not macaroni, they decided that they were not interested in even trying it (sigh).
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook yellow squash and onion in boiling water until tender; drain squash mixture well
2. Combine squash mixture, Cheddar cheese, next 5 ingredients, 1 cup breadcrumbs, and 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
3. Stir together melted butter and remaining 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over top of casserole
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
5. (optional) Feel free to add bacon