This is probably the second best macaroni & cheese recipe I have ever had. I usually home-make all my meals, but on this particular day, I forgot to bring my lunch box. This predicament turned out to be a blessing in disguise because I discovered this delicious dish! With the recipe below, you can enjoy this thick and creamy recipe too!
- A box of elbow pasta
- 4 oz white American cheese
- 8 oz extra sharp white Vermont cheddar, shredded
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream milk or half-and-half
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp – 1 tbsp Dijon mustard (adjust according to your tastes)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp hot sauce (I like Louisiana)
1. Grate the cheese before you begin
2. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box
3. Melt the butter in a pan
4. Whisk in the flour
5. Gradually whisk in the milk until the sauce thickens
6. Remove pan from the heat.
7.Add the cheeses, followed by the mustard, salt, and hot sauce
8.Stir until mixture is smooth and cheese has completely melted.
9.Stir in the pasta and cook over medium heat for one additional minute or until completely heated through